Nightingale Knits

Nightingale Knits
My Etsy Shop

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Watermelon + Heirloom Tomato Summer Salad


Beauteous, no?
Most people reading this will know I recently returned from am amazing trip to the United Kingdom, where I enjoyed some especially amazing meals.
For some reason, whenever I travel somewhere new, it's always that first meal that really knocks my socks off and sticks with me.  On this trip, that meal took place at Draper's Hall restaurant in Shrewsbury, Wales, and began with an appetizer of watermelon and heirloom tomatoes.

The original!
When I got home, I knew I wanted to reproduce it!  The flavor combination was unexpectedly complementary and so refreshing on a hot summer's day....not that we experienced any of those in Wales, but back home is another story.
It's also a delightfully easy, no-cook recipe.


What you need:
About 3 cups chopped watermelon
1 large heirloom tomato
About 2 tbsp feta cheese
A sprig of fresh rosemary
6-10 large basil leaves
A dash of salt and black pepper

Makes 4 servings

Just chop it all up, toss together, and serve!

Nutrition Facts:
Calories- 53
Fat- 1.5g
Carbs- 8.7g
Sugar- 6.5g
Protein- 2g

Pretty healthy! Plus it's just pretty to look at. Surprisingly filling, too!

And it paired very well with some prosciutto-wrapped roast asparagus (that recipe shall be shared next).

.....On to things I could not replicate, sadly:
Draper's Hall Restaurant exterior in Shrewsbury.
Boyfriend's lamb dish.
My beer + bernaise sauce dish.
Some sort of chocolate mousse something.
I did have some success with recreating this face!  Boyfriend highly approved of the salad.  No leftovers!

                                     








1 comment:

  1. Hi you guys! One time I found your blog on internet. I'm not sure if you're still active but I thought that you can help me.
    Your dog is lovely and it's quite amazing because my dog looks exactly the same.
    I have my dog for two years and since I got him I try to figure out why he scratches so much.
    I noticed that paw pads of your dog are kind of pink - like on my dog too.
    So that's why I thought that you maybe were struggling with the same problem as I am now.
    Did your lovely dog have food alergy or atopic dermatitis? Vets have trouble making a diagnosis and everyone says something different. Maybe there is chance you'll give me some tips. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete